Friday, October 9, 2009

The Doctors "F"



Well, we have finally decided on a surgeon - Dr. Allan H. Friedman, Neurosurgeon-in-Chief at Duke University Hospital (thanks again Rob and Jane!!!).  We are very blessed to live in this area where so many great options are available to us.  We still don't have an exact date of surgery, though.  We've been told that Dr. Friedman wants to consult with Dr. Takanori Fukushima, who has specialized for many years in neurosurgery.  Here is another link about him.  Dr. Fukushima won't get back into town until October 19th, and then Dr. Friedman will be out of town the week following, so it may be a week or two before we know when surgery will be.
While we would love to just get on with things, we also feel alright about waiting a little longer so that David can have the best working on him.  We have heard many wonderful things about him.


The Tumor
It is a large pineal region tumor of about 4 cm.  The series of pictures below are from his actual MRI on September 14, 2009. 

Tumor Series

They think it is most likely a meningioma, but a biopsy will be done when he has surgery.  The tumor seems to be coming from the Corpus Callosum.  Because of that, there is an increased risk of lymphoma.




Despite the inherent risks of the tumor size and placement, and brain surgery, we feel very calm, and confident. 
Two very dear friends and their families who used to live here, but have since moved away, have been so kind and have offered to discuss our medical situation with us and give us their medical perspectives.  Thank you Dr. Jay (oncologist) and Dr. Todd (radiologoist) - we love you and your families!
We also both have really appreciated the kind words and encouragement from many of you.  Your notes, cards and emails are read often by us.  And knowing that so many people are praying for both of us really helps!!  Thank you!!!
name blue one fell swoop fuller

2 comments:

  1. Bill and Leslie AndersenOctober 10, 2009 at 5:41 PM

    Hi Leann,

    ..of course this is to Dave, too .. but I had the blessing
    of being able to hear all this from him, and don't often
    get the chance to talk with you!

    First, as I said to Dave, you are both constantly in our prayers,
    but secondly - I dislike only saying "if there's anything we can
    do to help" .. and need more concrete plans! .. so one thing
    that he & I discussed .. is being your contact for anything
    at all you might need at Cisco (banderse@cisco.com 392-2916)
    ... another thought that comes to mind is if you have
    people coming from out of town that need rides from/to the airport,
    we make good taxi replacements!.. I would offer meals .. but I
    suspect you have many offers from church and such
    (although if we can ever help that way, please let us know!)

    Peace,
    Bill & Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bill and Leslie,
    Thank you so much. I will definitely keep your contact info handy. I hope both of you are doing well - the last time I saw you was at your wedding!
    ~Leann

    ReplyDelete