Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Feeling the Love and an Update

Feeling the Love
People are so wonderful - everywhere you go!  I wanted to share a few examples.
#1 - I went to my dermatologist, Dr. O'Rourke, to see why my hair is falling out (I learned something new - major stress can cause hair loss) and she and her nurse were so caring, and took extra time to talk with me, and each gave me a big, long hug when I left.  And then, to top it off, Dr. O'Rourke called me personally the following week to find out how I was doing and to let me know she was thinking about me.  I was so touched, that I cried when I hung up. (this was a "good" cry, not an "ugly" cry!) 
#2 - The girls on Courtney's dorm floor at BYU have been so supportive of her and us.  When they learned about her dad, one of the girls suggested that they all fast on a particular day and then end it with a prayer together, followed by dinner in the cafeteria.  We were so touched and strengthened by what they did, and for the way they have rallied around Courtney.  Again, it brought tears to my eyes.
It's hard for me to put into words just how grateful we are for each of you!!  Thank you for the love, support, prayers, lunch dates, cards and messages - for eveything!

Update
We have heard from Dr. Friedman's office that he would like Dr. Fukushima to assist him with the surgery.  They both have busy surgical schedules and travel a lot, so finding a time has not been easy.  So far, there are no dates that work for both of them in the month of November.  They are still comparing schedules to look for a date after November.  Their schedules change, things get cancelled, etc., so there is also a possibility that something could open up sooner at the last minute.

These two men are both very highly respected, and sought-after surgeons, so we are trusting in them to know how long David can go before the surgery is absolutely necessary. In the meantime, they said they are trying to find the earliest possible date that will work for both of them. While the waiting is not easy, it feels good to know that two experts, instead of one, will be part of this process.


So, as you remember David in your prayers, I wanted to ask if you could also specifically pray for a surgery date to be found, sooner rather than later, according to the Lord's will.
name blue one fell swoop fuller

9 comments:

  1. Oh, so sorry about the hair but it will grow back! (right?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She said it should, so I'm counting on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been praying for David and your family every night, and now Gregory (6) and Ava (4) are mentioning David in their prayers too. They don't fully understand what a brain tumor is, of course, but they know how to pray and now they are praying for David.

    Thanks for the update about the surgical schedules. We'll pray for a speedy alignment of the two doctors' busy schedules. Glad to know that you are getting excellent care.

    Sorry to hear about your hair. Of course, it will grow back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leann,

    Thank you for sharing your experience. I appreciate the daily reminder that "Life IS Good". Your attitude has been a great example to me.

    As for your hair, I'm sure it will grow back. After I had Caroline (my 8 year old) I didn't think my hair would stop falling out, let alone grow back. But it did.

    I'm glad Courtney has a lot of support at school. What hall does she live in. April (my 19 year old) lived in Chipman Hall last year. She took this semester off school but is still living in Provo (because she signed a housing contract last Spring). I think it would be great if they could meet.

    You and your family have been and will continue to be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the update, and the specific prayer suggestion. We're on it! Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patti - thanks!
    Cheryl - thank you for the great message. It would be fun if the kids could meet. In fact, wouldn't it be great to have a Baldwin great-granchildren get-together of all those there?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mark - thank you so much for your family's prayers. Tell sweet Gregory and Ava thank you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that would be a great idea. I already spoke to April and she said she could have it at her place. She has an apartment near the southwest corner of the campus. I know all 3 of your kids are there, but I don't know which of our other cousins have kids there. I think I'll send a message via the "cousins" email list and see what kind of response I get.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love to read your blog because it has both your and Dave's writings. It sure would help me on my chemo weeks to have someone else update my blog. I'll have to get someone on that job! :) Leann, you will always be one of my favorite people. You know that I am right here with you and Dave. I continue to pray for the Lord to take care of both of you, during the waiting time and once surgery is scheduled.

    ReplyDelete